Call

MacFawn's Blog

Aflatoxins A Byproduct of Mold Is Known Carcinogen

MacFawn Fire & Flood Restoration - Friday, November 06, 2015

It is a well known fact that the byproducts of Mold can be far more dangerous to human health than Mold itself. Speaking to the issue of Aflatoxins as a well know immune suppressant, it is also evidenced that Aflatoxins have been found to have carcinogenic properties and have formally been identified in the scientific community as a carcinogen. 

Aflatoxins cause intracellular damage to human DNA in which accumulations of mutations lead to the formation of cancer cell growth in the human body, primarily in the liver. The liver is the powerhouse of the human body that metabolizes all foreign substances and pharmacological materials, so it makes good sense that a person who has had mold exposure would end up metabolizing that foreign substance in their liver(s). 

You might ask, how does it make it into the bloodstream? Good question. Your skin alone absorbs unto 33% of ANYTHING it comes in contact with (thus the reason why you should only use products that you wouldn't mind entering your bloodstream, because that is EXACTLY where they will end up). In this respect, the air that we breathe; if it is affected by an environment prime to being infiltrated with Mold from a previously flooded basement or the like, will lead to ingestion of mold and absorption into the bloodstream via respiration as it enters  the lung(s) (also leaving your lungs at risk for genetic mutation and cancer cell growth). 


This all boils down to ONE THING. If you think you might have a mold problem, it doesn't hurt to check AND RECHECK.