Call

Mold Removal

Mold Remediation, Abatement and Removal

Mold is a serious problem that can lead to an array of health issues. The conundrum with mold exposure and health risks associated with such exposure, is that mold itself is not recognized as being harmful to humans. However, the by-products of mold; mycotoxins, endotoxins and other such biotoxins have been well evidenced to cause significant health problems. In instances where water has invaded a business or residence, mold begins colonizing within 24 hours. It feeds off moisture and organic matter found inside most building and content materials such as insulation, drywall, wall-paper and porous wood.

The professionals at MacFawn Fire and Flood Restoration act promptly to prevent new mold growth. With technicians that hold Gold Standard certifications from industry organizations such as OSHA, MYS Department of Labor, IICRC and the like,, we follow strict health and safety guidelines and are fully licensed to perform Mold Remediation in NY State. Our team uses a three step procedure for mold treatment which includes: identifying the source, containment and prevention of spreading and treatment of the affected areas with non-toxic antimicrobials to deter mold from returning.

MacFawn Fire and Flood Restoration’s key principle for mold remediation projects is to correct the root cause of the growth. Even the best cleanup will be ineffective if the moisture problems are not addressed. We work to provide a clean and dry environment that obstructs new spore colonization. If your building tests positive for elevated levels of mold spores, smells like mold or if colonies are visible, then the occupants should be relocated to a mold-safe location. Toxic mold health symptoms may occur with exposure. MacFawn Enterprises can help identify and remove even severe mold problems, while helping with your basic needs and accommodations.

The Association of Mold, Mycotoxins and Human Health

There are many types of mold, each having it's own biological specificity and each with toxins that also carry specificity in terms of what types of problems they can cause for the human. What we've discussed so far are the Aflatoxins produced by the [quite common] household mold Aspergillis, which can lead to all sorts of problems including: liver cancer, kidney cancer, lung cancer, asthma, bronchitis, dermatitis and more; Cladosporidium is noted by the CDC as being one of the most deadly fungi known to man causing sinus, skin and brain infections. Cladiosporidium was traced back to an out break of fungal meningitis recently in many states too! Another common type of household mold is Stachybotrys, which produces a very deadly mycotoxin called trichothecenes. Trichothecenes induced mycotoxicity has been associated with pulmonary hemorrhage, general lethargy and [also] liver cancer. Believe it or not, Trichothecenes has been used as a biological weapon [a.k.a. Yellow Rain] whereas those effected almost immediately experienced blistering of the skin, headache, fatigue, general confusion and loss of heightened senses due to the neurological damage that particular mycotoxin causes.

Aspergillis (associated with aflatoxins) Cladosporidium and Alternaria sp. (including Stachybotrys) are all very commonly found indoors and especially in Mold Remediation jobs. All too often homeowners don't understand the extraordinary danger in approaching a job where these species are present. It is critical that proper personal protective equipment, respiratory ventilation, air filtration and containment be used when in the presence of these types of mold. Simply utilizing an air cleaner will only make matters worse by creating airflow that could spread the mold throughout the structure (thereby affecting more occupants and square footage).