Mold & Mildew (Not-So-Sweet M&Ms)

Like two siblings who have similar features, mold and mildew have a few matching characteristics: Both are keen on warm, moist areas where they might sprout their homes; They can also each grow on a multitude of surfaces, from food to your shower to a sheet of paper; And, of course, they are both two types of fungi that no homeowner likes to see in his or her home.

But – mold and mildew also have striking differences when it comes to size, color and texture.

Mildew can easily be identified as a patch of gray or even white fungus that is lying on the surface of a moist area. Mildew is easily treated with a store bought cleaner and a scrubbing brush.

Mold, on the other hand, can be black or green and is often the result of a much larger infestation. This type of fungus can appear almost “fuzzy” — especially when it is found on food — or even slimy in nature. Mold is suggested to be remediated by professionals. When hiring an expert to properly remove mold from your home, look for companies who have licensed mold technicians.

The key to treating mold and mildew is to wipe it out of your home immediately by identifying the source and remediating it in its entirety. Treating it accordingly will safeguard your home from permanent damage and keep you from doing the tango with nasty fungi in the future.